Sunday, March 16, 2014

C4T #2

I was assigned to Michael Gorman's blog called 21st Century Educational Technology and Learning blog. The blog I read was called Stem Education: Over 25 STEAM links Filled With Resources and Information. It was about integrating the arts in the curriculum or as he put it, turning STEM into STEAM. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. By turning STEM into STEAM you are adding Arts. Michael provide some excellent resources. I left a comment informing him he had provided some excellent resources. I think everyone should look at his resources. My two favorite resources were DIY and Makey Makey. On DIY students can create their own profiles and interact with other student with the same interests. Students are able to express themselves and show case their creativity. My other favorite is Makey Makey. Students would enjoy turning their fruits or other objects into a remote, piano, or even a keyboard. I truly believe students are more engaged when educators integrate the arts in their curriculum.

 Educators need to bring the arts in the classroom.

I reviewed Michael Gorman's blog again. His latest post was about bringing NCAA into the classroom. He told a story about a classroom doing their National Basketball Bracket spreadsheets. This was a project based learning assignment. Students researched the geography and pros and cons of each college. From the information the students gathered they came up with their spreadsheets. Michael provided fifteen links to bring NCAA into the classroom. I left a comment informing him that the most informative link was March Madness… Reading for information Lesson Plan. The website provided a lesson plan on how to read basketball information. As I informed Michael, I do not know a lot about basketball, so this link was the most informative to me.

Using NCAA as a project based learning plan is a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment